Press Release

Pointe at Bayou Bend Ready to Welcome Families Displaced by I-45 Expansion.

Houston, TX, January 15, 2026 — Leasing will begin immediately and move-ins will soon follow at the Pointe at Bayou Bend (the “Development”) after the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) recently determined the tract of land underneath the Development (the “South Tract”) meets the standards for residential land use. The City of Houston completed its subsequent review and raised no objections to the South Tract being used as intended for high-quality affordable housing. Mayor John Whitmire, Houston Housing Authority (HHA) CEO Jamie Bryant, and HHA Board Chair Jody Proler made the announcement at a news conference today at the Development. The state and local decisions follow extensive environmental testing over the last couple of years that has confirmed the South Tract meets all applicable residential health standards.

The 398-unit, 100% affordable, amenity-rich community located at 800 Middle St. on Houston’s east side, was built in partnership with the NRP Group to address Houston’s shortage of affordable housing and to provide replacement homes for Clayton Homes families displaced by the I-45 expansion project. Those residents will receive priority placement at the new development.

“When I expressed concerns about this project it was because I had questions about safety,” Mayor Whitmire said. “I am confident with the results of the environmental testing and the additional diligence the new leadership at HHA has performed this last year, and support the development’s opening to serve the community. Clayton Homes provided affordable housing in this community for 70 years. The families who lost their homes due to the I-45 expansion should be allowed to return, and this beautiful new apartment community will help reduce displacement due to the gentrification happening in Houston’s East End.”

“When I stepped into this role a year ago, Mayor Whitmire and I promised we would never move families into this complex if it posed a health risk,” said Bryant. “We were fully prepared to walk away if the science pointed us in that direction.  The extensive testing of the South Tract and independent validation have proven the Pointe at Bayou Bend is safe, and as such, it is time to welcome home the families who have waited far too long for safe, modern, and affordable housing in the neighborhood of their choice.”

Concerns about the area arose after buried ash from the former City of Houston Velasco Street incinerator was discovered on portions of an adjacent HHA-owned parcel (the “North Tract”). Comprehensive soil and groundwater testing has confirmed that no incinerator ash exists anywhere on the South Tract on which the Pointe at Bayou Bend is located.

As part of its review, TCEQ also required remediation of a small area in the southeast corner of the South Tract, underneath the parking lot, where residual contaminants were detected due to historic operations at an industrial facility that once operated east of the property. The isolated area was not related to incinerator ash and does not reflect site-wide conditions.

The TCEQ-approved remediation plan for the identified residual contaminants involved the construction of a concrete cap over the affected area to eliminate any pathway for human exposure. Deed restrictions and annual inspections enforceable by the State of Texas will ensure the long-term integrity of the concrete cap.

In addition to determining the South Tract meets the requirements for residential land use, TCEQ also drafted an enforcement order to resolve environmental compliance issues identified during a 2022 inspection of the separately HHA owned, and undeveloped North Tract of land, where incinerator ash was found during the installation of a storm water pipe. The draft order includes requirements for additional remediation efforts on the North Tract in addition to a $175,000 administrative penalty, which HHA will satisfy through a donation to a Supplemental Environmental Project benefiting the Houston-Galveston Area Council’s Clean Vehicles Partnership.

HHA has no current plans to develop the North Tract into additional housing and has pledged to the City they will work with the community over the coming years on future planning for the North Tract to determine how it can be best used when the time is right to complement and enhance the neighborhood long term.

“I’m thankful for the transparent, science-driven approach Jamie Bryant, HHA staff, and our partners at NRP have taken in navigating this complex issue,” Proler said. “The decisions by TCEQ and the City allow us to close this chapter with confidence and focus on opening the doors to this first-rate housing community.”